fire hazards

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Recently, many buildings have been damaged by fires. In one case, a small malfunctioning generator was responsible for a fire in a building on Shahrah-e Faisal in Karachi. Another building collapsed in Rawalpindi after explosive materials stored in the basement caught fire and exploded. The government should appoint competent inspectors to ensure that buildings are free from fire hazards. In the meantime, residents of apartment buildings should refrain from keeping generators inside their apartments as they can not only cause fires but also emit noxious gases that can endanger the lives of building residents.